Affected Product: IBM InfoSphere Information Server 11.7
CVE ID: CVE-2022-35642
IBM X-Force ID: 227592
Vulnerability Type: Cross-site Scripting (XSS)
Severity: Medium (depends on the usage of the compromised application and user's privileges)
Impact: Modification of intended functionality, potential disclosure of user credentials within a trusted session
To illustrate the vulnerability, let's look at a code snippet showcasing how an attacker might exploit it:
As demonstrated above, an attacker can potentially inject this script into the web UI, which would then execute and steal user credentials, sending them to the attacker's server.
For more information and in-depth analysis of CVE-2022-35642, please refer to the following official sources:
1. IBM Security Bulletin: Cross-site scripting vulnerability affects IBM InfoSphere Information Server
2. NVD (National Vulnerability Database) Entry: CVE-2022-35642 Detail
3. IBM X-Force Exchange: X-Force Vulnerability Report 227592
To create a successful exploit for CVE-2022-35642, an attacker would generally need to follow the steps outlined below:
1. Identify a susceptible IBM InfoSphere Information Server 11.7 web page lacking proper input validation or output encoding.
3. Trick the victim into accessing the vulnerable web page, in which the malicious payload is loaded and executed.
4. Optionally, exfiltrate the stolen information to an attacker-controlled server or execute further attacks based on the compromised information.
To defend against CVE-2022-35642 and similar XSS vulnerabilities, it is critical for organizations using IBM InfoSphere Information Server 11.7 to apply the necessary patches and updates. Additionally, employing proper input validation mechanisms, ensuring output encoding for user-supplied data, and educating users about the potential risks of web-based attacks are all crucial steps in mitigating these threats.
Published on: 11/03/2022 20:15:00 UTC
Last modified on: 11/04/2022 14:06:00 UTC