CVE-2022-4028 has been assigned to a Stored Cross-site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability discovered in the Simple:Press plugin for WordPress, affecting versions up to and including 6.8. This vulnerability exists due to insufficient input sanitization and output escaping in the 'postitem' parameter manipulated during the profile-save action when modifying a profile signature. Authenticated attackers, even with minimal permissions such as "subscriber," can exploit this vulnerability to inject arbitrary web scripts in pages that will execute whenever a user accesses an injected page.
Here is a sample code snippet demonstrating the exploit
<script> alert("Vulnerable to Stored XSS"); </script>
The primary impact of CVE-2022-4028 is the ability for attackers to take advantage of stored XSS vulnerabilities to perform various malicious activities, including but not limited to:
For further information on this vulnerability, refer to the following sources
- NVD - CVE-2022-4028
Mitigation and Remediation
To address CVE-2022-4028, it is strongly recommended that users of the Simple:Press plugin for WordPress update to the latest version (>6.8) when available. In the meantime, implement the following practices to minimize potential risks:
1. Disable the ability for subscribers to modify their profile signatures. Restrict this feature to trusted user roles or administrators to minimize the attack surface.
2. Regularly monitor and review user-generated content on your website, including profile signatures, to detect any malicious payloads that could exploit stored XSS vulnerabilities.
3. Implement Content Security Policy (CSP) and other security headers on your website to provide an additional layer of protection against XSS attacks.
4. Ensure you are utilizing security plugins with features like input validation, output filtering, and security hardening measures to complement WordPress's built-in security features.
5. Stay informed about security vulnerabilities that affect your software and plugins, and apply patches and updates as needed to ensure your system remains secure.
By taking these steps, you can provide a more secure online environment for your users and protect your website from potential exploitation due to stored XSS vulnerabilities like CVE-2022-4028.
Published on: 11/29/2022 21:15:00 UTC
Last modified on: 12/01/2022 18:03:00 UTC